Each year we gather all new apprentices starting training with BCITO, Competenz, or Skills Org. We track these apprentices through administrative records and determine their primary activity each year after starting their apprenticeship. Activities are ranked in order of:
- Apprentice (continued ITO enrollment)
- Tertiary student (enrollment with other tertiary organisations)
- Employer (business income)
- Employee (wages and salaries, full time for at least 3 months)
- Overseas (an overseas spell for more than 3 months)
- Beneficiary (beneficiary income)
Where an apprentice who is still enrolled in with apprenticeship program with their ITO but also in employment will be recorded only as an apprentice.
Access to the anonymised data used in this study was provided by Statistics New Zealand in accordance with security and confidentiality provisions of the Statistics Act 1975, and secrecy provisions of the Tax Administration Act 1994. The findings are not Official Statistics. The results in this paper are the work of the authors, not Statistics NZ, and have been confidentialised to protect individuals, households, businesses, and other organisations from identification. Read our full disclaimer here.